Hot Dip Galvanizing
1 Formal CPD Hour
3:00 PM AEST
1 Hour Online Presentation
Presented by David Harrison
Specification of inappropriate corrosion protection systems is a real industry issue, impacting on capital and maintenance costs, safety and the environment, and for the best outcome, durability is something that should be considered in the concept design stage of a project.
Understanding the basics of corrosion and how to determine the corrosivity of a location using Australian Standards, is essential in designing for durability and the selection of the most appropriate corrosion protection system.
Hot dip galvanizing has typically the lowest life cycle cost of any corrosion protection system for structural steel and is the only coating with an EPD. An understanding of the galvanizing process, standards, and how to specify galvanizing, will ensure that the best galvanized finish and lowest cost outcome is achieved.
At the end of this presentation attendees will:
- How zinc protects steel from corrosion
- How to determine the corrosivity of a location using Australian Standards
- The galvanizing process, Standards, and how to specify galvanizing
- Basics of designing against corrosion and how to design for galvanizing
- Achieving the desired initial thickness and appearance